<E30> Summary of responses

hello everyone,

it was recommened to me that i summarize the repsonses i received to my
questions about fluids and rear upper shock mounts - good idea.  so here
goes,

Fluids -

a known iX owner said:

<<  I use the following Redline products:

Rear differential: ( limited slip). 75w90
(excellent performance for both conventional and limited-slip units)

Front Differential: (non-limited-slip) I use 75w90, but 75w90NS is also
recommended.

Trans: MTL  (Manual Transmission Lubricant)

Auxillary transmission (transfer case): synthetic Dexron II ATF>>

another person added:

<<FYI: If you have any serious (6-digit) mileage on your car, stay away from
75w90 weight in favor of 80w140!
75w90 _will_ growl profoundly, especially in warmer climates>>

someone else responded to the oil question with:

<<.....TSB info from BMW on the matter.  The bulletin number is
11 08 94 (4139)dated Feb 95.  It states that "Special Oils" currently
approved by BMW are Mobile 1 5W-30 and Valvoline High Performance
5W-30.  This weight is listed as being good from below -20F to above 80F
(-30C - above 30C). This bulletin was a result of cold start problems
when the temp is below freezing. The bulletin was for "all" models.>>

most other reponses regarding type of oil to use informed me of the type
they use which is too much to list here.  general concensus - not only does
it depend on your climate but seems to be preference also, you decide.

replacement of rear upper shock mounts -

the most concise response was:

<<The convertible shock mounts fit into the same holes as the
regular ones.  Go with them and they'll last twice as long as the
conventional ones.>>

more detailed:

<<The ix rear end is identical to all of the other E30 series cars (except
maybe
for the diff).  Anyway, yes it's true the rear shock mounts from the
convertibles are beefier due to the heavier load of the convertible chassis.

I put the convertible mounts in my 325is and my 325e.  I've worked on a
buddy's
325ix, and like I said, the rear end is the same, so they will work.

Be careful where you get the mounts from though.  There's been cases where
people have ordered the convertibles part and gotten "cheap imitations".>>

other responses confirmed that iC shock mounts will indeed fit in other
E30's and they are a better way to go for replacement.

thanks again for everyones responses and i will definately let everyone know
how this goes.  btw, i am ordering all my parts from Ston Rygars favorite
part source, stephen @ South Motors BMW, FLBEARCUB@domain.elided.  good service
and prices so far.  in the future i will be sure to share the responses i
get to my questions.  thanks again everyone.

regards,

jack money (Lear Corp. doesn't know my first name)
'89 iX --->  receiving alot of help from the digest.
motor city chapter

webpage soon!

email replies:

jack.money@domain.elided (home)