URGENT: 98 M3 v 98 M Roadster

I'm about to buy a 98 M3 or M Roadster, trying to decide which.  Wife
and I have decided we can live with impracticality of Roadster.  I've
heard that the Roadster is not sanctioned for some (all?) autox,
driver's school, open course racing.  Is this true?  I'd like to buy a
car I can eventually race, and the drop top would make helmet fit
better.  I need advice by lunch ET today, as I will probably have to
make my decision by then!

TIA
David D. Beatty
Myers Bigel Sibley & Sajovec, P.A.
Patent Attorneys
Suite 250, 111 Corning Road, Cary, NC 27511
PO Box 37428, Raleigh, NC 27627
Telephone: 919-854-1400
Fax: 919-854-1401
dbeatty@domain.elided