Re: Deciphering The VIN

"David S. Gearring" wrote:

> Wise Ones,
>
> I've been asked for the manufacture date of my '87 M535is on a number of
> occasions.  I went to the garage today to search for it and was told
> it's coded in the VIN.  Well, the manuals I have confirm that, but do
> nothing to help break the code.  Here it is -- WBADC840XH1721222  Is it
> the '84' following the 'C'?  If it is, then do I really have an '87?
> What about the rest of the code(s)?

Well, good news and bad news... the good news is your car was produced in
9/86, so it is an '87 model year car.  The bad news is that it is not an "M"
car.  It's just a regular old US version of the E28 5 series automatic.
Hope that helps.

> David S. Gearring
> Rookie Owner '87 (I think) M535is

- --
Jason Lile                               Administrator
Parts Manager                            BMW Parts Digest
Zionsville Autosport
http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com