E30 Brake Pedal Adjustment

Fellow Digesters

What is the correct procedure for brake pedal adjustment?

My brakes have been poor since I bought the car a year ago - i.e. at least 2
inches of pedal travel before the car starts slowing down. From that 2 inch
point - the brakes are great.

So

I adjusted the brake booster (on the passenger side in my right hand drive
euro 1986 325is) and that did 2 things

1 - WOW the brakes are now instantly responsive. Brilliant.
2 - brake pedal position has moved up - now it's a bit too high

There is one other adjustment available to me - there's a rod that runs from
under the pedal to the passenger footwell, that connects to the booster
through the firewall. Can this adjust the pedal height WITHOUT losing any
responsiveness?

What is the proper way of doing this? I'm trying to get both pedals level,
AND I want the brakes to start working when I press the pedal a few
millimeters.

Is this possible?

Best Wishes from England,

Rob Bentley