Extened Warranty

     >From: Greg Steinke <GSTEINKE@domain.elided>
     >Subject: 325i out of warranty

     >I agree.  When I bought my 92 325i in 96, I had the option to
     >purchase a 4yr
     >extended warranty for $1200.  Since my last car was a Honda, I
     >thought "no
     >way will I spend $1200 on repairs in 4 years".  2 years and $1300
     >later, I
     >realize that I was wrong.  And now I have some overheating problem to
     >deal
     >with.  I would definitely recommend the extended warranty.
     >Greg
     >(driving my roommate's Civic now.  It may be reliable, but it's so
     >boring
     >you wish it would break)

     >From: "George" <sdg2@domain.elided>
     >>From: Keith_Redmore@domain.elided
     >>Subject: 325i Going out of warranty
     >>
     >>Since my '95 325i with 48K miles is going out of factory warranty
     >soon,
     >>it's time to have my local shop look at it.
     >>
     >>Anything to specifically look for?

     >'95 325i is no Toyota....  If you plan on  owning the car for several
     >years,
     >look for an extended warranty program at least 30 days and 1Kmi PRIOR
     >to the
     >expiration of the factory warranty.  out-of-warranty repairs on E36's
     >are
     >not cheap...  owned 3 of them, sold 2 before the warranty expired.
     >3rd one
     >has a 2 more yrs to go...

     Greg,

        Where can you get an extened warranty?  Can you still get them from
     BMW NA after you took delivery of your car X years ago?  Will that be
     a bumper-to-bumper warranty or just for the drivetrain?  Any
     deductible?  I'm acually looking into this as my car has another 6-8
     months to go before the original warranty expire.  TIA for any info.

     Regards,

     Peter Li
     NJ BMWCCA
     '95 325is