[E34] Reliability of 525

Oscar Ortega <oscar_ortega@domain.elided> wrote:

>Just wanted to say thanks to the **FEW** people that gave me some advice
on the reliability
>of the 1993/1994 525/530. In summary the 530 is one to stay away from
since the block is
>being "eroded" by the american fuel...boy can we make fuel of what??.

Hmmm...  The erosion problem is related to sulphur content in the fuel, so
will largely depend on where in the US you buy your gas.  If I understand
correctly, the southeastern US is the high risk group, since Pennsylvania
oil (for example) is high in sulphur.  I am not aware of rampant problems
on the left coast (California), but I'm open to correction.  Brett
Andersen's website has a pretty thorough explanation of the problem with
the engine itself...

>The 525 has various problems including suspension bushing which I may want
to upgrade to
>a 7 series type (probably at an outrageous cost).

Hmmm again!  The 750il thrust arm bushing is a stock part, requires no
machining to drop into an E34 525i, and isn't very expensive.  This is a
wear item, and in a car of the vintage you're describing, when it's worn
the front end can develop a shimmy.  The 750il bushing is significantly
beefier, and the theory is (works for me!) that it will substantially
prolong the interval before it needs to be changed again.  Summary?  The
bushings are _not_ a big ticket item, and are actually a performance upgrade.

>Makes me wonder if  should get a 735 5spd
>if such an animal exist, (it would have to be '93 or newer...I dont want

Well, there again you have a problem...  The 3 and 4 liter V8s knocked the
3.5 liter inline-6 engine off the map, and '93 was the transition year.  As
well, while there are a few that pop up now and again, VERY few of the 7
series received a manual 5 speed; some sources say none, but the fact that
I have heard of a few means that there are at least a few more than none.
Also, I wouldn't consider a 735 to be an _improvement_ over a comparable 5
series as far as maintenance requirements!

Just my .02 cents... (again)

- -Knute
(happy owner of a reasonably well-behaved 525i; Dinan susp, JimC chip, 5sp,
750 bushings)