Oil Temp

Steven recently posted some very helpful information that Redline
reccommends lighter oils for engines
that see lower oil temps.  I asked my favorite mechanic about this and
when he heard that I was running 20-50 Mobil 1 he gasped and told me that
I should be running like a 5-40?  He said that I would get better fuel
economy and my car would feel mush faster?  Sounds exciting b/c I already
think my car is decently fast.
He said that my car must be slower off the line than the M5 with such
heavy oil!  :)

I guess my preconception was that oil temps past 100-150 were excessively
hot!  So what is hot?  Anything more than 225F when not driving up hills
or at full load racing?  Is it okay to sustain 225F when driving at 145mph
while crusing at 60 is not okay?

Trying to decide what too hot is.

Thanks,

Garrick S. Louie