Re: Non-BMW Auto Purchase ?

Allen,

I've had several VW's and have found them to be great little cars.  If
it wasn't for my M3, I'd have a VR6 Jetta.  As you've done your homework
you seen that VW has very little markup on their cars, generally less
than 10%.  This makes it tough for a dealer to go as low as they have
such a small margin to work with.  However, your method sounds correct
and the $500 factory to dealer incentive should definitely be passed on
to you.

A couple extra thoughts for you... Has your girlfriend looked at the VR6
Jetta? It's a bit more $$'s but a hell of a lot more car.  You need to
drive one before you spring for the 4 banger.  Also, in case you don't
know there is a totally new generation Jetta coming out by the end of
the year that is supposed to be quite extraordinary.  Better than the
Passat is what a couple magazines have said.  It might be worth waiting
a couple months.  You can check it out at:

 http://www.scottvw.com/newcars/a4jetta/a4jetta.htm

Good luck,

Calvin Hare
Orlando, FL
'96 M3 Lux
'97 VW Cabrio

>From: Mg299kkps@domain.elided
>Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 11:39:56 EST
>To: bmw-digest@domain.elided
>Subject: Non-BMW Auto Purchase ?
>
>My girlfriend wants to buy a 1999 VW Jetta (save your groans, I still
do love
>her).  What I need advice on is how much should she pay? List for the
auto is
>$18,465, dealer invoice is $17,086. If I subtract the 2% holdback and
the $500
>factory to dealer incentive I come up with $16,217 as the dealer cost.
I have