Re: Subject: New E-28 Owner

<< Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 08:24:55 -0500
 From: "Mike Lukachek" <bmwmike@domain.elided>

 Hello All,
<snip>

 <Finally just purchased my first auto after looking at several. It's a 1987
 535i.  Although the newer cars are very attractive, ride and handle great,
 I like the classic styling of the E28.>>

I prefer the more elegant styling ot the 535i over the 535is.  To me it's just
a better looking car.

<<I found the car at a local Mercedes dealer.>>

As long as it wasn't a Honda dealer...

<I believe the price of $6300 may have been a little high, tell me
 what you think.>>

Normally I would say that is a higher price to pay for an 87 535i car but so
much depends on condition.  A new paint job can run into the thousands so if
the paint is in VERY good condition (and the color you want) then it may well
be worth the money.

<The car has 130,000 miles>

This is a high milage car to me
(putting flame suit on)

<<one owner, the exterior and interior are nearly flawless, really. The car
seems to have been well maintained. It may have been painted some time in it's
life but was not a tape and spray job.>>

If the exterior and interior are "nearly flawless" I would say the car is well
worth the money.

 <<Runs great, everything works and included installing new exhaust and new
 Michelin TRX tires.  (Yeah, I know but found out later.)>>

Don't believe all the rot you hear about how bad TRX tires are - they're a
good safe (albeit expensive) tire.  Better tires are available at lesser
expense but also some worse tires are available also.

<<Apparently needs control arm bushings.>>

No surprise here.  These were upgraded by BMW.  When you have them replaced
make sure you get the 750/850 ones.  Do yourself a favor and give Steve G. a
call and let him send you a set of arms with the improved bushings already
installed.

 <<Only have been on the mailing list for about a week but have found tons of
 information on the web.  I do have one question though.>>

<<I know how to reset the oil service light, but where is the diagnostics plug
located?
 Just can't seem to find it.>>

Open the hood and it is pretty much dead center, a little to the right near
the fuel regulator.

 <<Thanks, Mike Lukachek
 R50/2, R75/5, R11RT, 535i >>

Welcome to the DIGEST!!!!!