E30 Uphostery Repairs

Hi All,

Has anybody experienced the leather shrinking away from the back part of the
sport seats in 1990 3-Series (1990 325is)? I recently bought this car and it
had sheepskins on the front sport seats. Before I bought it, I pulled the
sheepskins back and the leather looked really good, but today I took the
sheepskins totally off and I discovered to my horror that the leather on the
back part of both front seats (the part that slightly wraps around the
sides) has shrunken, exposing the formed plastic material underneath.  Can
this be repaired? I think the guy who owned this car previously put on the
sheepskins and then never conditioned the leather after that. Other than
this shrinking the leather is very good - no cracks.  Although it does feel
a bit hard.  I wonder if this is due to the fact that it has never been
conditioned? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Do anybody know of a
leather upholsterer in the bay area who is experienced at repairing leather
seats in BMWs?

Thanks,

Steve Kaelin
San Jose, CA