Aftermarket CD Changer options

I was wondering, since my car is wired for a Alpine/BMW cd changer for
control thru the head unit, is there any way I could buy an aftermarket
alpine or some other brand and be able to control it thru the head unit?  I
don't want the factory one because of the price, I was quoted $400 for a
used one and new was like 500 i believe from Bavarian.  That is an
outrageous price to me, when I know I can get like a sony 10 disc changer
for around $200 and if I try hard enough find a good used one or something
for around $100.  Is there anyway one of these units can be controlled
through the head unit? If not, can I wire it thru one of the radio
frequencies, I think it's called RF connection, and use a seperate remote
unit it comes with?  Obviosly it is not as convenient but well worth the
savings from the factory unit.  Also, my car is a '92 535i, would the
BMW/alpine unit be the same as the '92 changer made in '92, and wouldn't
any new aftermarket changer be of newer technology and a much better player
with better skip protection and such. Well, now I am rambling on too much
when I'm sure everyone new my question in the first few sentences, so
thanks for any replies.

Michael Gruby
e-mail: gruby@domain.elided
University of Illinios