BMW 318i Automatic transmission

Hi everyone,
I just subscribed to the BMW mailing list and i find it really interesting.
I recently acquired a 1995 318i with automatic transmission. Beside the shift
stick, at its left, there's a  "A/M" switch that is supposed to stand for
automatic/manual.
I asked the salesman and i read the owner manual but i doesn't explain
clearly what's the use of this switch! Can anyone of you tell me what it is
for and how do i use it?
I know that on "A" its the normal automatic and on "M" its one-gear driving.
But what exactly is the use of driving on only one speed. Can i shift gears
while driving in this mode or should i be careful the RPM's are low.

I would appreciate your help.
Thank You.

Karim.

- --------------BE7B04127CE88D617C853808--