Re: <E28> Purchase advice

You've identified three problems that will need rectifying (two if you
live in the Yukon or someplace similar):

The brake shake is likely the front suspension bushings, perhaps also
tire imbalance and/or warped rotors. It'll take a good chunk of change
to fix this. The P/S moan may be the pump, or it could just need a good
fluid flush and a new filter (I think the eta-engined cars have that
filter in the bottom of the reservoir - someone will correct me if I'm
wrong.) More money to diagnose and repair. A/C repairs are notoriously
expensive, even if you switch to R-134a.

You've got a good bit of money to spend to make this car right. If the
car is worth $3500 or so to you, then buy it. Bear in mind that any car
of this vintage is likely going to need something at purchase, or soon
after. Either get this and fix it, or find a 533i/535i, pay a little
more up front, and have more juice to get you in trouble. All a matter
of priorities.

> First off, thanks to all who responded to my request for advice on the
> purchase of the 1983 528e.  I had a chance to drive it last night, and while
> it was cosmetically in pretty good shape, the steering shook (occasionally
> the entire car) on braking.  But it wasn't every time.  There was also a
> whine from the power steering, not just when it was stopped either.  The A/C
> didn't work.
>
> Other than that, I couldn't find any rust, it looked like an average
> condition car of that vintage (some cracks in the dash, a couple of door
> dings, etc.).  The guy said he would come down to $2000 (from $2500).  My
> question, is it worth it?  I don't want to have to drop a grand into it
> right off chasing suspension gremlins, and who knows about the power
> steering whine (actually more of a groan).
>
> The car drove good, but was not a power house, though I was warned by
> several of you that it would not be.  I'm just wondering if maybe I should
> hold off and buy one down in the bay area (maybe it will have lived an
> easier life?) next summer while I'm down there visiting relatives.  Oh, this
> car has 193,000 miles.

- --
- -AEG

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get
you.