Reliability of 525i, 530i

Gentlemen,

   I am new to this forum, I currently own a 83 Porsche 928 this car has been a living hell I
have sunk more money into this then the cost of the Titanic ( you know what they say Porsche,
there is no substitute ....for a Lemon).

   Anyway enough about my current frustration, I am interested in buying a '93 525i or '94 530i
5 spd. How reliable are they, any problems I should know about. I heard from one member of bmwcca
that the 525 has as plastic water pump. Any troublesome electrics, or A/C.

   Can I do most of the repairs... I will always buy the service manual for any car I buy,
 I am proficient enough to do my Maxima's timing belt and most of the repairs unless I
cant get around doing a job that requires a lift, so can I do the Inspection 1, 2 etc.

I went ahead and joined BMWCCA to try and talk to as many owners of BWM as possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Many thanks in advance

Oscar Ortega