RE: M3 motor on a 525iA

John:

hi there, saw your post and it kind relates to my present project. My =
current project is to get a M3 5-speed manual transmission and build my =
2.5L engine to a 3.0 or 3.2 engine spec (240+ HP).

Actually, your project was like my first initial project, was to put a =
Turbo kit from Active Autowerke. They suggested me not go with a =
Automatic Turbo 325 because the transmission won't hold the additional =
111 HP increase (300 HP) and at that time, money was a little tight.

Well, that was a year ago, and I was kinda glad I didn't go with a =
turbo, because they had a customer with a 95 325i automatic with a Stage =
1 Turbo, within 11 months, the transmission was slipping, yes, an =
automatic transmission was slipping, only manual cars would slip because =
the increase power and torque would melt the torque converter (that's =
the name for clutch in automatic cars). That person decided to get a =
5-speed conversion and a Stage 2 (380 HP) and he's moving like there's =
no tomorrow, as a matter of fact, he let me sat on it and let me drive =
his car (what a nice guy) and so I noticed a hell of a difference, I =
have sat on his auto stage 1 turbo (couldn't pass 2000 RPM on launch) =
and on this car, he launches at 3800 to 4000 RPM.

Jesus christ.. that thing flies and will leave you like a bad habit, =
unless you have a Stage 1 M3 Turbo, then that will even the ends. You =
understand what I'm saying right? That automatic transmission is =
"designed" for how it was (your case, a 2.5L motor). If you decide to =
get a M3 engine, you might as well get the M3 transmission so you will =
prevent any future incidents on the transmission.

If you want a good example, I would give you a e-mail of my friend who =
was a non-BMW, but a 95 Honda Civic EX with a 97 Honda Prelude VTEC =
motor, his ol transmission went out like I said, slipping too much, he =
was carless for 2 weeks because it was hard to find a 97+ Prelude =
transmission, and he does not have a NOS kit or either a Turbo kit.

Hope this helps out..

PS. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I also inquired about getting a 95 =
M3 motor on my car with automatic, it will also go out, but instead of =
11 month like the guy with the auto stage 1 turbo, give or take it will =
go out like in a year and a half.

- --
Reynaldo Tong
93 325iA