'93 525i CD Changer Questions...

My mom's '93 525i CD Changer has mysteriously died as of late... It lets
you insert and eject the cartridge, but it doesn't seem to recognize the
discs when inserted.  Anyhow, question number 1:  Are there any
diagnostic things I can do to check out the changer?  Question number
2:  If the changer is dead, can I use the newer Pioneer CDX-P630S with
the adapter cable, or can it only take the more expensive CDX-M30 that
I've read about?  Thanks in advance for any help y'all can do.

Edward Chan
ehchan@domain.elided
'97 M3

p.s.  If you flash anyone here in LA, you're asking for a whuppin' if
you ask me... :)