Winter storage

<<<<<<Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:54:38 -0500
From: "Raymond Rockholt" <Raymond.Rockholt@domain.elided>
Subject: Winter Storage

Hello to you all.

As we draw ever so closer to the much dreaded Minnesota Winter, my '98 M3
will be headed off to storage.  I will have access to the car during this
time if needed.

What should I do in order to properly prepare the car for a long nap?  Can
anyone share any suggestions other then moving out of state?!>>>>>>>>>

There are several schools of thought on this ( not surprising). At minimum,
you should change oil and filter; fill the gas tank; add maybe 1/2 litre of
methol hydrate (gas line antifreeze); check antifreeze; remove battery and
store inside - trickle charge from time to time; use car cover; don't use
handbrake; what did  I forget.

Now, the two schools: some advise starting the car once a month and letting
it warm up, to keep the oil circulated, etc. I prefer to leave the thing be,
and avoid cold starts. Also starting it tends to put moisture back into the
exhaust system. So I would put it up on axle stands if possible, and let it
rest in peace.

 Come spring, my preference is to change the oil again and then turn the
engine over with the coil wire off until the oil pressure light goes off.
This may not be feasible with newer ignition systems.