Re: Winter Storage

Ray:

Here's what I do for my 911 summer warrior.  Hopefully I'll remember it
all.  1) Change the oil before storing it.  If you start the car
periodically during the winter, change the oil again when you take it out
of storage.  If you don't start it, the oil will still be fresh in the
Spring.  Apparently starting the car fouls the oil.  2) Pump the tires up
to 40-45 pounds (at least in the 911).  Helps keep em round.  Also roll the
car up or back every week or so in order to have the car sit on a different
portion of the tire.  3) Hook the battery up to a charger that will shut
off automatically when the battery is fully charged.  I got a Schumacher
charger for around 40 bucks at Wal-Mart that works well.  4) Leave the car
in gear with the emergency brake off.  I forget why, but I know it's a good
idea.  5) If you periodically start the car, which I do every week to ten
days, run the a/c for a couple of minutes to get that flowing.  6) Cover
the car so it stays looking good.  Give it a good wash and wax before
storing it.  7) When you take it out of storage or run it in the winter
(15-20 minutes), just take it easy on the car until it's really warmed up.

I've done this for five years now and the only problem I had was a battery
died on me once.  It may have been due anyway.  Good luck.  And remember,
although it's no fun putting it away in November (Chicago), it's like
getting a new car every April!

Donn
'97 328i - about to enjoy it's first Chicago winter (with snows!)
'89 911 - has led a sheltered life - never seen a snowflake
'93 Camry - has seen it all.

>Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:54:38 -0500
>From: "Raymond Rockholt" <Raymond.Rockholt@domain.elided>
>Subject: Winter Storage
>
>Hello to you all.
>
>As we draw ever so closer to the much dreaded Minnesota Winter, my '98 M3
>will be headed off to storage.  I will have access to the car during this
>time if needed.
>
>What should I do in order to properly prepare the car for a long nap?  Can
>anyone share any suggestions other then moving out of state?!
>
>Thanks very much...
>

>Ray Rockholt
>'98 M3/4 - getting sleepy!
Donn York