RE: 1984 318i IDLE Problems Any Suggestions?

Sounds like a rich mixture - makes for hunting idle.
Sooty tailpipe?

Have you confirmed no vacuum leaks (more likely to
lean out the mixture, but makes for bad running too).
Have you confirmed the dipstick and oil filler cap are
both on tightly?

I had a bad seal on my dipstick on a K-jet and a L-jet car
before.  Confirmed it by pulling it all the way out ...
this sounds really perverted ... and putting my finger
over the hole.  Idle restored, revved happily again.

Have you checked the oxygen sensor?  If you disconnect
it and there's no difference in behavior, the sensor
has failed and your car is running rich.  If your
motor hunts WORSE, then you have a problem elsewhere.

 - Thi V.

'87 325is, '87 325i, '72 2002, BMW-checkered past
Austin, TX.