So I over-reved my '95 M3...What now-reply

<< Todd wrote:So I over-reved my '95 M3...What now

 I did the dreaded 3rd to 2nd shift a couple of weeks back (trying to go into
 4th).  Motor made some bad noises.  Now it will not turn over and steam came
 out.  Has anyone had any luck getting BMW to help them out with this issue
 lately.  I am aware of the talk about the weak motor mounts on the '95 and
 the shift gate possibly moving slightly during heavy acceleration and the
 talk about that the E36 transmissions allow this bone-head too easily.  Any
 help or info would be greatly appreciated. >>

Todd:
I'm not necessarily an advocate for BMWNA, but how are they responsible for
you getting second instead of forth and blowing up your engine?

I've taught at a handful of driving schools over the last year, and the first
thing I notice is this terrible desire to manhandle a car (not only men do
this). Many novice and even some intermediate drivers beat the heck out of the
shiter in particular.  They grab the damn thing and its going where they say
its going, no matter what.

Treat the shifter like an egg, shift slowly. Every shifter has springs in the
neutral gate that line the shifter up with the 3rd and 4th gear gates. To get
first or second gear you have to move the lever left against the spring, then
forward into first, or backward into second. I don't care how bad your mounts
are they don't interfere with the operation of the shifter.

Don't be offended, but it's more than likely the driver. Either a bad habit,
or a mistake.

Scott Adare
Spokane, Wa
'95 M3 (shifted smoothly)