E36 hestitations

Hi people,

Last week I became the owner of a 1993 E36 325i (24V Vanos). Since then I
have noticed that there seems to be some hesitation under full throttle
acceleration at around 4500 - 5000 rpm. The engine seems to stop pulling
momentarily, almost as though it has a small misfire and then carries on to
the red-line. Also, when it is cold and I try to accelerate, the
missing/flat-spots etc seem worse.  Does anybody have any ideas as to what I
should check?

Any ideas appreciated, it's really starting to annoy me......

Sean
http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~scm1/bmm.htm

'93 E36 325i SE