Re: Re: More oil pressure gauges...

FWIW, I run a VDO pro series (2 5/8") mechanical gauge. My oil pressure at
idle has never dropped below 30 psi at operating temp., even on a hot day.
(haven't had any track time since the install. It stays well above 65 psi
anywhere above 2-3k and stays at around 80+ psi above 4k. The mechanical
gauges are very accurate and have a range of 0-100 psi which is great for
this application. Also, the needle sweeps  around the gauge 300 or so
degrees as opposed to the 90 degree sweep of the electrical gauges.
Mechanicals should be done right, with good braided lines and good
fittings. Don't use VDO's tubing kits. I actually used Autometer lines and
pressure switch (30 psi). Besides a bright red light, the switch also
activates a loud beeping warning buzzer. (I'm not paranoid...)

Eric
87 E30 M3