E 28 535 compression

>>>>>>>>>Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 20:13:44 EDT
From: ABARTH037@domain.elided
Subject: E 28 535 compression

I am trying to find an easy way to increase compression on my 85 535i. #1
are
there other big block heads that have smaller combustion chambers but the
same
size valves?, 530, 533?  #2 Milling heads, if I was to get an adjustable cam
sprocket, how much can I mill of a head to get a considerable better comp
ratio (8.5-9:1), without fear of valve/piston interference.  And, does the
cam
and head have an alignment mark, so i could at least get the cam close to
dialed in?  Detonation could become a problem with an increase in
compression,
what is a safe ratio?  The car has a Turner Motorsports Chip and a header,
if
that makes a difference?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Nathan
85 535i<<<<<<<<<<<<
IMHO, nathan, you're looking at expensive ways to gain very little
horsepower. The heads are all the same -  the pistons are different on the
euro motors. Higher compression means premium fuel, however. If you're
really keen to improve acceleration, why not switch the diff to a higher
ratio? You lose a bit of top speed, and the gas mileage suffers a bit, but
its a hellofa lot easier than taking the motor apart. At some point, you're
better off just buying a faster car. Personally, I take more satisfaction
from leaving other cars behind in corners than in a drag race.

End of bmw-digest V9 #342