BMW Inspections?

I got this off the alt.autos.bmw NG...  (re a 1993 325is)
Dude.  Those dash mounted SI lights are the biggest return for service
marketing ploy this side of the atlantic.  You see, BMW would like to
instill in your mind the following:
Once every two years:
Brake Fluid Flushed (much more often if you track the car, otherwise,2
years is fine)
Coolant Replaced\Flushed
Every 30-45 thousand miles:
Replace Ventiliation system Microfilter
Replace Spark Plugs
Flush and fill differential fluid, manual transmission fluid, or auto
transmission fluid.
Replace air filter with FACTORY air filter.
Thats it...Brake pads...whenever your pad sensor light tells you to.
Oil changes?  Synthetic every time those stupid lights tell you to,
approx every 9-10k miles along with a factory filter.  Hoses will last
at least 6 years, 100,000 miles.  Belts, probably should change them
about 75,000 miles or 4 years.  (You have a timing chain, so no timing
belt to replace).  O2 sensor every 90,000 miles

Is this really it?  If so, is there any reason NOT to do this stuff myself?
Is it best to follow the lights or a certain # of mileage to do this/that?
Do I use BMW fluids or is aftermarket stuff better?  Is there a FAQ re. E36
maintenance someone's made that's the "ideal" care for the car?  Sorry for
the obvious newbie questions; replies are probably best private and if
others are interested I'll repost a summary of info.  As always, TIA.
- --Lane Flynn
94 325is
(PS it has 72.5k and I changed the oil once at 72k after the previous owner
had Insp. 1 @69k.  ONE green light was out.)