Re: e28 power steering pump whine

>    Last summer i started getting the tell tale signs of a bad brake bomb.
> i replaced it with a new one and about 10 min later started getting a
> squeeling from my power steering pump.    I let the  noise go until last
> week when my power steering started  cut out periodicly.
> I bought a  used one that had been on a wrecked e28.  almost immediatly
> it started squeeling too.

> Did i install a bad pump or is there another problem like my pump isnt
> getting the fluid it needs to stay lubed. (yes, it has fluid in the
> resi.)

Try replacing the power steering filter in the bottom of the
reservoir, this can cause the symptoms you describe. Do a
fluid change with Dexron II ATF while you're at it.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!