Re: Cig lighter kill switch

Norman Boehl <nboehl@domain.elided> wrote:
> I posted the original message regarding the cigarette lighter, and
> have implemented it on a General Motors vehicle (sorry, guys).  It
> works great (the kill switch is completely out in the open and easily
> accessible, but who would suspect? (probably thieves :^()).

Yep, this is an old trick many thieves are aware off.  And so is using
the flash-to-pass high beam switch.

What I did on the E30 318i I used to have was to take an old A/C switch
and rub off the recirc. and snowflake emblems and place it in one of the
spare location over the radio.  I modified them to work like
momentary-on switches instead of the push-on, push-off type.  I wired
them in series to power the coil of a fuel pump cutoff relay I buried
under the fuse panel.  I also wired the relay in such a way than once it
was turned on, it would continue to power itself.  Power was taken from
the "15" terminal (12V when ignition is on).

The starting sequence went something like this:  1)turn the key to the
"on" position, 2) press both switches simultaneously and release, and 3)
start car.  If I forgot to press the switches, usually there would be
enough pressure in the gas line for the engine to run for a second or
two and then die.  The only downside was that there was no way to
disable the feature so valet parking was out of the question :) HTH

Luis Marques
'97 328i