Re: volunteer questions

Brooks writes:

> Hi,
>     I am going to volunteer at the NCC Driving school next weekend.  Since
> this is the first time that I have participated in this kind of event, I was
> thought
> that I would ask for a little advice on what to bring or any other tips that
> might
> help.
>
> Thanks
> Brooks Herrin
> bherrin@domain.elided

Since you'll probably be put to work on a corner you should bring a
bunch of layers of clothing.  Summit Point _is_ in the mountains and the
weather there is very unpredictable.  Even if it is warm where you are
now that doesn't mean it will be there.  It is also a good idea to have
some rain protection and sunblock since the tubs on the large track
aren't covered.

When you're choosing clothing avoid red and yellow because these colors
_should_ mean something specific to the drivers.

If you have a small cooler you might consider taking something to drink
and some snacks.

I have used a small stool in the tubs so I can be comfortable but still
have a good view of the action.

There'll most likely be more than one of you in the tub so you should
split up duties and _stick_ to the duties.  You can switch off from time
to time, but if one of you is watching up the track (oncoming cars) the
other should be watching down the track (receding cars).  The person
watching up the track gets to work the flags, the other might as well
work the walkie talkie.  Failure to watch your part of the track could
cost someone dearly.
- --
Pat Donahue  CCA 125031
Vienna, VA