re: <E36> wheels

 Keith_Redmore wrote:

>I am looking to upgrade the stock wheels on my '95 >325i to something
a bit more sporty.

>Since I do not want to spend a lot, I would prefer a >basic good
wheel, used but in good shape.  Any >suggestions?  Or FS?

Keith,

It's a little hard to anwer your question, as we don't know what your
ultimate goal is.  Do you plan on doing any driving events, or driving
exclusively on the street? Based on the tone of your post, I'm
guessing that you're looking for a balance of improved steering
response and handling vs. streetability.

You have several good options:

The first two use BMW factory wheels, which offer a good level of
quality, no fitment problems and (imho) appropriate styling for your
car, and the opportunity to get 'em used (= cheap) from another
Digester, or other enthusiast.

- -Pick up a set of OEM 16" wheels and tires off a late model E36 (3
series) that came with the sport package.  This wheel/ tire combo will
improve the steering and handling feel without compromising your ride
comfort to any great extent.  You can probably get the whole setup for
$7-800.

- -Pick up a set of M3 takeoff wheels and tires.  These are 17" rims and
*will* decrease ride comfort a by decent amount.  If you live in an
area with poor roads, you will definitely want to think a little about
this if maximizing performance isn't your main concern. Going rate is
about $200 per wheel.  Complete setups normally go for about $1200 or
so.

- -Aftermarket wheels.  This is the biggest variable both in terms of
fit and quality.  In some cases, the offset of the wheel precludes
putting the maximum tire width possible on the car, as rubbing can be
a problem.  There are a number of decent *and* expensive aftermarket
wheels out there, if you're willing to pay the price.

When I crossed this bridge myself about a year ago, I decided to get
M3 takeoff wheels, as I felt it was the best balance between looks/
fitment/ quality/ price.

Of course others will have differeing opinions, and as usual, YMMV.

Hope this helps,

Frank Massaro
BMW CCA Tarheel/ NCC
'92 325is