<e36>REPLY-Tires following road?

Eddie wrote:

Hi all,

All this tire talk reminded me to ask a question.  My car has some
Dunlop D40M2 215/45 ZR 17 tires.  They handle great, but stick to the
road too sensitively.  That is, every time there is a road in the grove,
the tire(s) will pick it up and ride it like it's on a rail.

It's my first set of high performance tires, so I'm not sure if this is
a classic side-effect/trade-off of having these tires for every day
driving use.  If not, are there any other [comparable] makes you have
had better experiences with?

Thanks very much,

Eddie
'92 325i E36

It's probably not the tires, Eddie.  It could be one of two things.  1)You
have real bad roads, with lots of crown to them, or 2)You have not fully
upgraded to the M3 suspension, or 3)both.  BMW recommends that you upgrade
to the M-Technic suspension applicable to your car whenver you go to 17 inch
wheels.  Apparently the re-positioned sway-bars and upper strut mount plate
provide slightly more camber to the front wheels, reducing the effects of
tramlining, which is what you are experiencing.  A fellow digester-buddy of
mine noted that his tramling was greatly reduced after we switched the
sports package suspension for the M3 suspension on his car.

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD