Re: 86 735 M series???

Jim,

Believe it or not, BMW did make an M version of the E23 Seven Series.  However,
it was produced for the South African market, was a right hand drive car, and
badged ///M745i.  Usually, 745's were turbo charged, but the turbo wouldn't fit
on right hand drive cars.  So, Bernd Pertschneider (sp?), who was marketing for
BMW SA at the time, came up with a special model that had the DOHC 3.5 liter
M88/3 engine (from the M635CSi) installed in the E23 7 Series chassis.  So, the
clues to a real M 7 Series are:

1.  Right hand drive.
2.  South African production.
3.  DOHC 24 valve M88/3 engine with 6 throttles.

Jim Moran
'88 M6