e36 new brake pads are clinking

Hi folks,

I just replaced the front pads and rotors on my '93 325is for the first
time in my ownership.  The old pads were stock, the new pads are Hawk
HP-Plus.  The new rotors are OEM.

There is an unpleasant sounding clink, clink, clink that goes with the
wheel rotation when coasting slowly.  As soon as the brakes are even
slightly applied, it stops (and it starts squealing, but that I can
live with).

My question: the stock pads had that spring on the back of the inner one
(round 3 pronged that fits into the caliper piston hollow).  The new
pads had no such springs.  I just put them in dry.  Is the clinking
related to the possibly loose pad?  Will the gummi-fledge (whatever it's
called) help?  Should I pull the backing springs off the old pads and
somehow try to use them?  How?

Thanks for the help.  I need to resolve this within a week as I'm
heading to Watkins Glen on 10/23.

Thanks,
Carl
- --
Texterity Inc.                       carl.scholz@domain.elided
233 Needham Street                   http://www.texterity.com
Newton, MA  02464                    Home Office: 978-579-0852