weird electrical problems w/ e30

Lately, my mothers '91 325is has been having some weird elec.
problems.  For the last couple of weeks, the radio has decided to
shut off while playing.  The antenna goes down and the music goes off,
 but the display stays lit.  I can turn the radio off, then on again,
but most of the time it'll just repeat the problem.  I don't know if
it's related, but the first time this happened, all of the instrument
lighting also went out.  I can fix this by turning the lights all the
way down, then back up.  They usually stay on after that.  Now they
both seem to happen independently.  So, do any of you have any ideas
what this could be?

Thanks,

Jason McCowan
NCC