Re: bleeders

Hi Steve,
I have a question about your $100 pressure bleeder (simpler version) that
you described in a recent post.  Lacking a compressor, what is a
good source of pressure?  I assume that it would be somehow possible to use
a spare tire, but I'm wondering what sort of fittings would be needed that
are not included with your setup.  I'm looking for an inexpensive way to do
the bleed correctly.  Any other ideas?
Thanks.
Bob
You might consider picking up a portable air tank from Sears, Home Depot or
get one of the MIdwest tanks (9gal) available through most parts suppliers.
 These tanks will cost $30-50 depending upon size...5 gallon and 9 gallon
are the most popular.
		These tanks will come with a pressure gauge (and relief valve) and can be
filled at your local gas station to about 100psi.  This is enough air (with
either tank) to bleed the brakes of several cars.  You'll also need to re
configure these tanks slightly as they generally only come with a 4' hose
with and air chuck on the end.........this limits the tank's application to
filling only tires.
			I personally use a 9 gallon Midwest tank and attach a 1/4" flow/1/4"
male pushbutton (Prevost) disconnect right into the tank valve body.  I
then use a 1/4" id 15' or 25' polyurethane self storing hose (Flexeel by
Freelan-Wade) to attach my accessories to (note-this hose can be
permanently attached to the tank as the retracted hose does not take up
much room).  Accessories include the 4' hose with tire chuck for filling
tires, various blow guns, and the brake pressure bleeder.  I use the tank
around the house for servicing our lawn sprinkler system...it seems dirt is
always getting in the heads and valve bodies and bringing the air & blow
guns right to the task simplifies the cleaning and maintenance.
			Getting back to your question, you could also use a spare tire (you'll
need a Schrader valve) but this is awkward and using portable (12v)
compressors is erratic.  Stick with a shop compressor (with air tank) or
the portable air tank as cited above.  SD
Steve D'Gerolamo - The Ultimate Garage
201-262-0412 / steved3@domain.elided / http://www.ultimategarage.com