Re: Track Safety

>Agreed.  But how about the convertibles that come with hardtop
options.  Is the
>hardtop for a convertible as strong as a standard coupe hardtop?  I
would guess
>no; but how much weaker is it?

Hardtop options on convertibles are akin to having a soft top - in
otherwords, they're worthless for safety.  Every racing Miata has a
FULL-CAGE, even though the cars are required to run with the hardtop in
place.  Just remember that if you add a full cage, it should have
intrusion protection on TOP as well as on the sides.  The hardtop can
easily tear away and the intrusion of a tire onto the top of your
helmeted head would be a bad thing.

>My guess is that competitive adrenaline is a major culprit.  If you're
doing
>okay, you want to get back to the race ASAP.  My suggestion is for all
track
>events to _require_ you to come to a full stop before re-entering the
track
>anytime you leave it.  Anything else, and you're DSQ.  Then, when
someone
>leaves the track, their competitive juices will be saying "Get to full
stop
>ASAP so that I can get back to racing.!"  And of course, that's just
the
>behavior you want from them when they go off track.  Thoughts?

Racing?  Isn't this a Drivers' School?  If it was racing, the concept of
a full stop would be stupid.  If I can spin, stay on track and continue
then the hell with the other drivers, I'm out to, well, be last.

The problem isn't just adrenaline - it's ego.  There are lots of people
at Drivers' Schools that have spent tons of $$ on their cars and NOTHING
on driver preparation.  This has caused more than a few insurance rates
to increase.  Unfortuneately, while performance levels can be easily
measured, egos can't and therefore will remain the limiting factor for
Drivers Schools, regardless of the sponsor.  When I used to run in BMW
Drivers' Schools, I always had the problem of catching a tricked up car
(BMW or other) with my POS Volkswagen.  I almost always rec'd a point-by
but was rarely successful at passing due to superior HP.  Now that I'm
racing, that's a different issue...

> Finally - an open question....we have a whole bunch of Bimwads here on
the
> Digest in the computer and software industry.  Why can't someone
develop a
> SIMULATOR program that can be used on a PC to simulate various
senarios  and
> consequences to an off-track experience?  How hard can this be?

> It can be done fairly easy based on an existing simulator such as Gran
Tourismo.

I have this game - it's the only reason I purchased a Playstation.  The
only problem here is that it isn't realistic.  If you rack up car in
Playstation, BFD - you keep playing.  If you rack up a car at a School
or Racing, you're in a world of hurt, let alone your wallet.

I tried the Gran Turismo approach at my last race @ Summit Point.  I
dove inside a car at the bottom of the chute.  As I passed, he closed
the door and nailed the side of my car at the rear of the passenger
door.  I completed the pass safely (it was my line since he hit me so
far back on the car) but it sure wasn't like Gran Turismo.  I must admit
it got the adrenaline pumping but in retrospect, the consequences could
have been rather spectacular - but then again, it's racing.

It all comes down to the old adage - No Guts, No Glory.
- --
Matthew Yip
mgyip@domain.elided

'87 VW Gti 14v