RE: Foglights adjustment

> From: Glen Chow <glen.chow@domain.elided>
>
> John, they are exactly that FOG lamps and they are not supposed to
> illuminate the road!  They should be used only in thick fog or rain
> conditions.  Around here alot of people call them faglights
> when they have them on all the time.  They are designed to aim
> at the ground so the light will bounce back up behind the thick
> fog you are supposed to be driving through to illuminate the area
> further in front, since the light won't get as dispersed by directly
> hitting the moisture in the air.  If you want road illumination, get
> DRIVING lights.

	Glen - please get a life.
	John was asking for technical advise.
	Spiritual guidance (i.e. flaming) was uncalled for.

	At leas in E30's the fog light housings have two screws hidden
behind two plastic plugs on the front lens of the lights. E36's should be
similar. Remove the plugs and you will get access to two Phillips adjustment
screws that will help you aim the lights. Please do _not_ aim them beyond
projecting a clear footprint further then about 5 feet ahead and out.
Otherwise you will be blinding incoming traffic with your fog lights. If you
had recently run over/hit anything with the front apron, your fog light
housing may be askew.
	Fog light housing is attached to the apron with a couple of long
screws. You will need to climb under the car and work in tight spaces to
remove them. Make sure that they point equally ahead and out after
re-installing the housing or you will again be blinding the incoming
traffic.

have fun,
alex