<serious WOB> My closing remarks...

Well, I am flattered at all the attention my chip selling has earned,
but I am sure most of you can assume I would rather have most critics
mind their own business.  I am a little steamed after catching up on the
digests, so I now offer the details (anyone with a problem can email
privately):

My fellow school member (he thought he was ashamed) was not the first to
plop $200 down, or whatever BS that was.  In fact, I posted it Monday
night and had about 5 offers before him, a couple just wanting the
regular OBD I chip to save $25 (imagine that).  I have already contacted
the first email I received and he will be getting the chip for $200
(even after a later higher offer from him) if I don't find an OBD II
taker.

The original price:  The price was set at $200, assuming the chip was
worth $225 (best deal I could find).  I told the people that contacted
me and indicated that their cars were OBD II that I didn't think the
certificate covered that, so there could be no deal.

Changing the price:  This was done after calling Eurosport Performance
(one donator, 801-463-4919, recieving way more publicity than they
thought thanks to a couple of idiots, but good for them) and finding out
that it would also be good for the OBD II cars.  I had made no deals and
have still not, although one is comming along.  All the mail I received
at this point was of the "I am interested" type.  BFD, send me an
address and tell me you want Jim's kick ass chip in the car and I will
consider that a closed, unnegotiable deal.  I have sold enought stuff to
know that the majority of the people that contact you "interested" will
never be heard from again.  Even if I hadn't raised the price, I would
have sold it to the first person that said "send it", not the first that
said "tell me more".  Anyway, the price was raised to $350. This still
saves $50 (again, the best offer I could find) for the purchaser.  I
would sure be interested in saving $50, so I assumed this was a decent
thing to do.

Giving it back, selling for $5 (genius), whatever else:  This was my
good fortune.  After a weekend of shit, including:
    -being run over by a tractor as I moved it to load the car for the
weekend
    -said tractor comming to a stop against my truck that I just picked
up
    -leaving finally at 3:30 in the morning to get to DC in time to
autocross, only then realizing that I was too damned tired to do it
    -backing the new truck into a rock that I couldn't see, thus costing
me a new bumper
I was happy that something finally went well.  For everyone that is
still pissed at me, hopefull the above makes you feel better.  I assume
that the guy that won the even more expensive wheels or BL/SS(I don't
remember) that didn't own a BMW didn't give them back.  I could be
wrong.

Anyway, I do hope someone buys it.  Obviously they will be smart enough
to realize I didn't violate anyone by selling it as I did and hey, I am
helping a fellow bimwad out.  For anyone else that doesn't agree, win
something yourself and do whatever the hell you want to with it.

Sorry if I offended anyone with this letter.  Sorry for anyone still
offended by my selling the chip

James Clay

End of bmw-digest V9 #273