325e Diagnostic help.

I have a 1985 325e, with 63,000 original miles, that has been sitting for 6
years and I am now trying to bring it back.  There several problems with
which I need diagnostic help.

1. Engine cranks, but sometimes, will not fire.  When it does fire, it
sometimes acts as if the timing is so far off that there is no power and the
engine speed will not change regardless of accelerator position.  When I
took the car around the block several times with the engine acting this way,
when I got back the header was cherry red hot.  This is a new condition
since the automatic transmission was removed rebuilt and replaced.  The shop
has rechecked its' work and says all is ok with the installation.
2. There, at times, is no spark evident at the spark plug electrode (visual
inspection).  There is battery voltage between ground and the coil (+ side).
Resistance is a bit high between + and center tower on the coil.  Resistance
is ok between coil + and -.  Resistance is ok on speed and reference
sensors.  These tests were done according to the Bentley Service Manual.
3. When the engine fires properly the idle will go very high and soon drop
to 700/800 RPM but vacillate between that speed and about 900 RPM.  Is there
a possible intermittent fault in the Motronic unit?

Any diagnostic help and shop recommendations in the Towson, Maryland area
would be greatly appreciated.

Gary Balaban wlif@domain.elided