RE<E34> 540i 6sp "clutch"? problem

 I had a badly slipping clutch on my 95 540i 6-speed at 31,000 miles.  I
queried the digest at that time and got no feedback of common clutch
problems on this car.

Dealer replaced the clutch and flywheel under the BMW goodwill policy but
made it clear that BMW NA doesn't warrant clutch life.  Here's one case
where being a long-time loyal customer paid off.  Still don't know why the
clutch wore out.  Like you I've driven many Bimmers since 1980, all of them
with manual transmission, many with well over 100k miles.  Never wore out a
clutch before.

Bob Smith
West Hills, CA
CCA # 22252 (L.A. & S.D. Chapters)