Re: Subject: Check Engine Light

Bill,

The check engine light can come on for many different reasons.  For
example, the light came on in my '97 M3/4 because my wife did not screw the
gas cap on correctly after refueling.  The car detected a problem with the
fuel system, logged an error message in the DME and turned on the light.

I your case, it could be that you have some bad gasoline in the system
since it has been sitting for some time.  Try adding a "dry gas" product or
a few fresh fillups.  If it continues then you are probably in for a trip
to the dealer to read out the fault contained in the DME.  Hopefully
nothing was fried by jump starting the car several times.

Tracy Meyer