Driving school at Watkins Glen (long)

     Just got back from a 3 days school at Watkins Glen with the PCA club.
     I can tell you its one heck of a track.   Its a very challenging and
     yet unforgiving road course as there is almost no room for mistakes.
     Do anything stupid and you will kiss the guard rail which is only two
     feet off the edge of most of the track.   Over the three days event
     we've totaled three Porsches, two of them are practically brand new
     (All BMWs are doing fine though).  All serious accidents are from the
     student run groups.  Two students make the same beginners' mistakes as
     they hit the guard rail at exactly the same spot.  What happened was
     they tried to bring their cars back onto the track when they're half
     off to the grass/gravel already at track-out point!  Once the wheels
     regain traction, it shoots like a bullet across to the other side of
     the track and heads on to the guard rail.  Very scary indeed!  Thats
     why you'll hear from the more experienced drivers saying all the time
     "When you're off, stay off!"

     On a ligher note,  I've a chance to get a ride with my friend who is
     also an instructor.   He really shows me what a BMW can do in the
     hands of a good driver.   We've chased down and passed a 700hp Viper
     in his comparatively puny 192hp E30 M3 in less than 2 laps.  It sure
     is one heck of a ride!!  Don't ever underestimate the M power on the
     track.

     Peter Li
     NJ BMWCCA
     '95 325is, survivor of the Glen.