BMW Service Information & Independent Shops

I thought that part of the laws that make up the clean air act required
that auto manufacturers make all relevant service information, tools, etc.
available to independent service shops, at least as far as emissions
related service.  Does anyone know if A) I'm mistaken on that part of the
law, or B) How BMW plans to get around it with their "dealer only" service
policy?

I do know that my next car WILL come with a factory service manual.  I HOPE
it will be a BMW.