More: 42V Electrical Systems

Another note from Larry the physicist about 42V electrical systems, at
least part of which (weight) was mentioned by someone else on the
Digest:

>Another note supporting this hypothesis: the Ford engineer who spoke
>about 42 Volt systems mentioned that today a typical (well, maybe
>typical for fancy models) wiring harness weighs about 200 pounds!
>Higher voltage means less current means smaller wire means less
>weight.
>Of course, if systems retain 12 volts for lighting (allows better optics
>and a more robust filament [which permits the tail lamp to remain lit
>longer when the trunk lid is closed, generating about 200 g's on the
>filament]), there is no improvement in wire size, and the electrical
>system is more complex.  Look for more LED and discharge (as in Neon
>or Xenon-metal halide) lamps for cars that use 42 Volt systems.

Also, as pointed out to me privately, 42 IS a multiple of 1.5, as in 28 x 1.5.
 None of which matters considering that 12V systems are really
13.6/13.8, but let's not go there again, I'm just pointing out that I was
temporarily math-impaired when I posted that comment.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977