Re: Boring & Stroking <MISC>

Boyd, David (Neighbour Boy) wrote:

> Now for stupid question number 2.  If the pistons are moving farther,
> how do they keep the pistons from crashing into the cylinder head on the
> compression and exhaust stroke?  I've always wondered that, but never
> asked.

By changing the wrist pin location in the piston; all things being
equal, a longer stroke will require a "higher" (closer to the combustion
face) wrist pin location. You can also shorten the rod length, but the
increase in rod angularity may not be desireable.

Disclaimer: I'm no mechanical engineer, but I used to work with American
V8ss quite a bit....

- -jerry