Using a Ball Joint Press

Tom Jarlock writes:  I broke the (Facom) ball joint puller while trying to
remove the lower control arm on my
>535i (e28)  One side of the pin that holds the pieces together snapped
>off and flew across the room.......................

Tom....I'll post this again to the BMW-Digest as others have had this
problem.  You cannot expect the tool to remove all seized/frozen ball
joints.  You need to help it along with a hammer.  Tighten the ball joint
press and hit on the bottom of the ball joint with your hammer (should be a
least a 1 lb hammer...the one I use is 1.9 kg).  The tension of the press
and the blows of the hammer should eventually release the ball joint.
After hitting it a few times, tighten the press another half to full turn
and hit the ball joint a few more times.  Continue with hammer blows and
then tightening the press until the ball joint pops loose.

		This is the same procedure with any ball joint press.  Tie rods will
release much easier than ball joints.  SD

Steve D'Gerolamo - The Ultimate Garage
201-262-0412 / steved3@domain.elided / http://www.ultimategarage.com