RE: Boring & Stroking

My, My, what ya'll missed by not being a teenager in the sixties!  Boring
and Stroking was what every self-respecting car-loving crew-cut guy wanted
more than anything back then.  It all goes back to the old racer saying,
"there's no substitute for cubic inches."  Boring is simply punching out a
bigger hole in each cylinder and installing bigger pistons.  Stroking is
changing the crankshaft to one with longer throws so those pistons will
move farther on each stroke.  Result: bigger engine!  A typical engine
rebuild will also result in a marginally bigger engine, because the
cylinders will be bored out a slight amount and slightly oversize pistons
installed, resulting in more displacement.

You guys really should tune in to Shade Tree Mechanic on TNN and learn all
this stuff!

Bill Mitchell
'95 540i/6 sharked(and due back from the body shop next week)