adjusting big six AFM

>Can anyone recommend the correct method on the tear down and assembly of
>a air flow meter for an E28 535is?. I believe that may provide some
>solution to a surging idle problem.
>
>Philip
>'87 535is

To remove the black plastic cover on your AFM just
cut through the glue holding it down with an exacto
knife, or whatever.  Once inside, the only thing I
would do is make sure the arms are contacting the
circuit board throughout their travel.  They can
be (carefully) bent to make up for some wear, but
keep in mind that it's easy to muck them up.  Just
take your time. Don't mess with the gear, or anything
else in there for that matter, you'll jsust be
compensating for a problem that lies elsewhere. If you
do insist on playing with the gear, be sure to mark off
where it was because you'll end up wanting it back there
eventually anyway.

For a funky idle on that car I'd start by making sure
you're running Silbers gapped a little wide (see FAQ)
and that your intake manifold boot and the
little thing that runs to the valve cover aren't
cracked or damaged in any way.  if they've never
been replaced, replace em, they're probably bad even
if they don't look it.

Mike Reimer