Re: touch up paint questions

>Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 13:00:14 -0500
>From: "Andrew D.Mendez" <AMENDEZ@domain.elided>
>Subject: touch up paint questions
>
>My car (E36) got bumped while parking & some of
>the paint covering the plastic rear bumper came
>off, leaving some exposed black plastic (about the
>size of a small paper clip) on the otherwise pure
>Alpineweiss bumper. Does anyone know (1) if I
>should put some primer on the spot before using
>touch-up paint, and (2) whether BMW makes touch-up
>paint. TIA
>
>Andy 95 M3

Andy, BMW does make touch-up paint... comes in a 2 stage kit which you can
pick up at the dealer. It cost about $15 or so. (one bottle will last a
lifetime!) White is actually a tricky color to touch up when it comes to the
bumper.... the black will show through if you don't put primer on it. Even
after you apply the touch-up you may not be happy with the results if the
spot is very big. Although the BMW touch-up paint is close, there is always
some variance... if it's an an obvious area then you'll still be able to
notice it. A bodyshop will probably charge about $200 to repaint the back
bumper, but maybe you'll get lucky and be able to make it look good with the
touch-up. I've spent a lot of time at the bodyshop lately and those guys
charge big $$$. Best of luck!

Regards,

John

1990 750iL