Re: <E34> Gauges going car not

>The other day while stopped at a red light all of the sudden my RPM gauge
as
>well as the Spedo and the analog MPG guages all jumped up as if I were
going
>about 50mph?  Once again, I was at a complete stop and no my foot wasn't on
>the gas.  In fact, the engine didn't race at all just the gauges.  Is this
>precursor to many electrical problems to come?  Any one experience anything
>like this before or know what or why?  BTW, the car is a e34 90 525i w/60k
on
>it, I am the second owner and have had the car for approx 2 months.
>

>TIA for any info.
>Chuck
>BMWCCA  Suncoast Chap.(Is this chapter active?  have yet to see any events
but
>I am a new member.)
>1990 525i
>1998 323is

Well that's strange...

It almost sounds like the "self-test" feature of the E34 instrument panel
somehow got started.  The self test will turn up all gauges.   Try the self
test feature and see if its the same as what happened. Note: self test does
not apply to 1989 E34s

1.  Turn off the car.
2.  Hold in the button in the instrument panel just right of the LCD display
3.  Turn the key on and release the button.
4.  Watch the show.

Is this still happening???

Shawn Anderson
1990 535, 155,000 miles, 5 speed, sharked