E46 CD Changer

Hello Fellow Enthusiasts!!

Very big thanks to all those who sent me e-mail and gave me suggestions and
advice about finding and installing a CD changer on my new 1999 323iA.
After calling several places, I finally ordered from Bavarian Autosport.
Not only did they have the best price, but seemed to be very knowledgeable
as well.

During my investigations, I found out a couple of things about my E46 that
others may want to be aware of.  First, the E46 is so new that many parts
are not yet readily available.  For example, even the floor mats had to be
put on back order, as did the installation/bracket kit for the CD changer.
Second, there seems to be some question as to where the CD changer should be
installed.  The manufacturer intended for the CD changer to be installed on
the left inside trunk panel just above the storage tray.  However, the bus
wire does not reach that position without an extension bus, which is neither
included with the changer nor the installation kit, and which no one seems
to have.  I phoned the dealership to see how they did it and was told that
they use a bracket kit from another model and mount the changer under the
rear hat shelf.  The bus wire length is sufficient to reach that position.

So even though I ordered the changer/kit, the kit is on hold until BMW
figures out where the changer should be mounted so they can include all the
necessary brackets and wires.  According to BavAuto, they should be
receiving the installation kit within a week and I'll have it shortly
thereafter.

Once again, thanks to all those who responded to my request for help.

Sincerely yours,
Carl T. Geenen
1999 323iA E46
BMWCCA #143146