Reply: Hypothetical Question ;-)

Walter, using the word "hypothetical" to disguise the fact that he may be
looking for an angle, asks:

>Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:39:39 EDT
>From: WKPII@domain.elided
>Subject: Hypothetical Question ;-)
>
>Does the VIN of an '88 535 tell you if it is a "i" or "is"?  Because, say the
>number badge is missing off the trunk lid, how would the insurance
>company know what letter designation you owned?  Purely
>hypothetical of course.
>():-)
>
>Walter

Well, if the insurance company saw the front and rear spoilers and sport
seats, and if they knew what they were looking at, they might figure it
out.  On the other hand, both cars have the same engine, drivetrain,
wheels and tires, so it isn't like you're gonna be going a whole lot faster
or anything.

Of course, in the insurance industry, they look for any excuse to raise
rates.  The rating of the Geo Metro Turbo is higher than the plain old Geo
Metro, even though both cars used an anemic 3 cyl. engine.  The turbo
was just a bit less anemic.  So I wouldn't be surprised if the Sport 535i
cost more to insure.

If you find out that the VIN doesn't give it away, why not replace the
535is badge with a 528e badge?  If you're looking for lower rates, go for
the REALLY lower rates.  Hypothetically, of course.

(On the other hand, what happens when you have an accident and the
shop tells the insurance company that the parts are more expensive than
they were expecting for your non-"is"?)

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977
1990 325i/is hybrid, although I haven't told my insurance company about
the "s" stuff - yet